Secondary News – Saturday Detentions Myth Buster
Saturday Detentions – The Facts
Following the recent announcement of the introduction of Saturday detentions within Folkestone Academy secondary, the list below answers some of the questions we have received from parents/carers:
- Pupils will not get a Saturday detention immediately for offences such as lateness or low level disruption.
- Pupils will have two opportunities to attend a weekday detention prior to a Saturday detention being set.
- Staff at Saturday detentions have specialist SEND training.
- Only the senior leadership team will take Saturday detentions.
- Parents who cannot attend on Saturday with their child can arrange a more suitable time during the week.
- Pupils who have to follow religious observance can re-arrange their detentions to a different Saturday.
- Parents will receive at least 24 hours notification by text and email.
- Parents are encouraged to meet with the senior leaders to discuss why their child is in the detention on the day.
- Parents can refuse Saturday detention and request internal exclusion instead.
- Saturday detention is used by a wide variety of schools including local academies.