The Rugby Academy has been developed exclusively for students entering Year 12 and forms part of Folkestone Academy’s Sixth Form. We have over 25 students participating in 15 hours of coaching per week and 20 fixtures over the year.
The Rugby Academy has been designed to allow students to develop their academic studies, as well as gaining a raft of rugby-related qualifications that will support applications for employment in sport and leisure industries, as well as differentiating strong university applications in any discipline.
- Give students essential lifelong skills and experience such as commitment, discipline, teamwork and respect.
- Raise sporting performance alongside academic achievement in Sixth Form.
- Provide the opportunity to experience and benefit from rugby at a professional level on a regular basis.
- Enable students to gain rugby-related qualifications to support applications for employment in the sports and leisure sector, or strengthen university applications in all disciplines.
- Offer students the opportunity to participate in an international tour which will take place every two years.
- All students who join the Academy are required to abide by a code of conduct to ensure attendance, performance in the classroom, commitment to learning, taking on leadership responsibilities, displaying positive and resilient attitudes and demonstrating the highest standards of personal presentation at all times.
- Develop effective links between Academy, home and club.
- Provide a platform for all Academy students to realise their full sporting potential and move to the next level in their chosen sport.
- Maintain academic excellence.
How to Apply
Key Points for Applicants
Academic studies will always take precedence over sporting commitments although flexibility will be allowed where necessary and when in agreement with a class teacher and coach.
Applicants for the Rugby Academy will be involved in selection trials and then meeting with the Head of Rugby Academy. Criteria for selection will include academic qualifications, level of sporting representation and general commitment to sport.
There will be a cost to students for the Academy uniform and the international tour. The uniform will cost approximately £100 and tour prices will be advised at time of advertising. Fundraising for the tour will be a fundamental part of the Academy and will be used to subsidise the cost for each student.
Any students that do not continue to follow a full academic programme will be asked to leave the Rugby Academy. Attendance at Folkestone Academy Sixth Form is compulsory for inclusion in the Rugby Academy. Folkestone Academy complies with all safeguarding procedures and all staff concerned with the Academy have been CRB checked.
Curriculum and Minimum Entry Requirements
There are a number of specific pathways students may follow at Folkestone Academy. These pathways will be explained further during the course of the trial session. Students in the Academy have the opportunity to study A Level and BTEC courses, benefitting from the teaching and learning opportunities offered by our high achieving and over-subscribed Sixth Form.
In addition to their chosen options, Rugby Academy students will gain the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Gym Instructor
- Level 2 Award in Leadership through Rugby Union
- Level 1 Award in Coaching Rugby Union
- Level 2 Refereeing Badges
A fundamental part of this programme is leadership development, and the qualifications will enable students to coach in local schools as part of their individual development and understanding.
Entry into the Academy will be based on three different selection assessment criteria:
3. Academic Ability
General entry requirements for the Academy are 5 A*- C grades at GCSE including English and Mathematics, but each application is viewed on its own merits.
How To Apply
Applications to the Folkestone Academy Sixth Form should normally be made via the Kent Choices website.
Please see your schools careers advisor or your Connexions personal advisor if you are unsure as to how to apply via the online prospectus. If you are unable to access a careers advisor or Connexions, please call the Glassworks Sixth Form Centre direct for advice on how to apply.