All Age Careers Lead – Mrs Tibbles
Telephone: 01303 842400
It is part of the vision of The Folkestone Academy that all learners receive careers education, information, advice and guidance that will enable them to choose education and employment pathways that are right for them and are able to manage their careers throughout their lives.
The aim of our careers programme is to:
- Enable students to make informed choices about their future career paths;
- Open students’ minds to opportunities of which they may not be aware;
- Develop links with a range of community organisations and employers in order to provide students with a broad range of opportunities and experiences;
- Provide opportunities for students to identify their strengths, aspirations and future goals;
- Help students understand and develop the necessary skills to equip them for whatever career path they choose;
- Research and provide up-to-date information about employment, apprenticeships, labour market trends, and Further and Higher Education opportunities.
As students progress through the Academy they will participate in a range of careers related activities, including:
- Key Stage 4 GCSE options support and guidance
- University workshops and visits
- Apprenticeship presentations
- 1 to 1 careers guidance interviews
- Post-16 application and progression support
- Links with employers, including classroom presentations and workplace visits;
- Careers related assemblies; and
- Trips to careers fairs.
Students can drop in to see Mrs Tibbles with any careers questions during any break or lunchtime, or a 1 to 1 appointment can be made for any students requiring a more in-depth discussion.
In order to ensure that our careers programme is effective and supports students in developing the knowledge and skills they need to progress in their education and future careers, we measure our programme in a variety of ways:
- Gatsby Benchmarks – The Gatsby Benchmarks are a nationally recognised framework of 8 guidelines which outline what makes the best careers provision in schools. We use the Compass online tool to measure the effectiveness of our careers programme against the eight Gatsby Benchmarks.
- Annual student survey
- Evaluation/feedback forms completed following the career activity